Re: Firewalls, Hooray

Author:Ken MacLeod

I'm not sure what's being stated here, that firewalls were never capable of performing their intended function or that firewalls have been subverted by systemic and broad misuse of their function.

For example, Dave says "did firewalls prevent yesterday's calamatous virus? No way." I know several firewall implementations that will only allow certain enclosures in MIME content (both SMTP and HTTP).

As a reminder, firewalls are only a perimeter tool, site security is a combination of perimeter, network, external connections, host, application, and user education issues.

Since firewall discussions tend to have strong opinions on all sides and often degenerate into flamefests, if there's any interest in carrying this discussion much further it would probably benefit us to use some discussion techniques and possibly a neutral party to act as facilitator/summarizer.