MS Culture and Virii

Author:Larry Yudelson
Posted:5/5/2000; 9:19:41 AM
Topic:Virus from Manila

The MS apathy regarding security seems pretty deep.

I remember being aghast when I read the Word 6 scripting manual and saw how easy it was to write Word virii. (The next week the first one landed on the cover of the NYTimes). How could intelligent people turn a word processor into a virus platform?

I suspect part of the problem is that there aren't many people with real-world experience there. The problem with hiring kids straight our of college and working them until they retire as millionaires at 30 is that they don't bring any sense of what life is like outside of Redmond. Do they actually know any "users"?

This is all mostly speculation (except what I gleaned from my cousin who worked on PhotoDraw last summer.) I'd love to hear what Joel has to say.