Re: Firewalls, Hooray

Author:David Valentine

Which is why IT Managers should stick by thier guns, and convince the PHB's to pony up for solutions which may not be free.

PHB: The MS representative I talked to last week said that MS outlook has all the features of XXX, and XXX, and it comes free with MS Office.

IT: It's my ass on the line. Outlook is free, but we have to buy a user license for everyone accessing the server. And a full copy of office for everyone, even if they only use word.

PHB: But Outlook is free, right? Office is below the big hassle purchase order price, and we need a server, so MS is the best solution.

I tried to get an office that was just opening up to use framemaker, and notes. Of course a concurrent license of frame runs $1200, and notes runs about the same cost as exchange. Office came with every computer ordered through the gateway/dell so it was a no go. And a people spent hours reformatting the documents to specs, but that was a billable expense.