Re: Firewalls, Hooray

Author:Aaron Mathews

We stuck to our guns when spec'ing network firewall software, and we have an excellent solution- no viruses.

The firewalls that I think Dave is talking about aren't designed to keep stuff like this out.. some people act like a perimiter firewall will solve all their problems. We use Trend's anti-virus scanner/firewall/proxy to scan email coming into our exchange server, and we haven't seen any of the nasty email-attachment viruses. Everything gets scanned as it comes in, and the scanner gets updated virus info from Trend every evening. With that and a good perimeter firewall (as well as good security policies), we've been fine, and I don't see any 'Exxon Valdez'ish stuff hitting us (or any other company whose network team knows what they're doing). Once your PHB realizes this will cover his ass in the long run, you'll be fine.

IMO, sticking to your guns and putting good security in place is well worth the effort, and you don't have to worry about CYA during silly crises such as these.