Frontier 6.2 and Futures ...

Author:Russell Lipton
Posted:6/25/2000; 9:32:48 AM
Topic:Frontier 6.2 and Futures ...

First, a sincere thank-you. I am increasingly getting very irritated at myself that I didn't discover Frontier several years ago - this from a guy who bought the first Mac-model on the first day. Big-corporation software blinders ... fortunately, it's never too late, in a sense, with software. I will wash my mouth out with SOAP and get moving.

It's not just that the products are superb, but (I don't know a better way to say it), they are intellectually and creatively provocative. Very close to sofware as art. That's a compliment, in case the engineers are dialing in. Notes, thanks to Ray Ozzie, has some of that but with a very different spirit. Every category buster does.

Even better, I feel I have dropped into the midst of an ongoing laboratory scoping the future of the Web.

Okay, done

A couple of questions - any idea, vaguely, on dates for Frontier 7?

How much onboard HTML and XML validation/editing support do you envision migrating directly into the writing environment as compared to plugins and interfaced tools?

Any plans to make "chat" a first-class piece of content?

I see Frontier filling a HUGE space, at least for the next year or two, between disconnected, unintegrated Web authoring/reading and content management tools at the low-end and massive replication, security-rich, ridiculously scalable solutions at the high-end (Domino/Notes as a type). Is that reasonable?

One final comment ... I also see Frontier, uniquely at this point, inhabiting a collaborative "writing-reading" space (including discussion, duh, but) that is distinct from the EZBoard(s). This is descriptive, not necessarily good or bad. Am I right? How do you view the EZBoards et al within the world of the two-way Web and, hence, Frontier?

aka Headduffer
duffer.editthispage.com