Re: Napster and Software

Author:Wesley Felter

I'm confused about Dave's motivation, for example. He rants about the RIAA, but still sells his own copyrighted software.

It's not for me to say what Dave's motivation is, but maybe the apparent contradiction you see has something to do with this: When people buy CDs, the artists get little to nothing. When people buy Frontier, presumably the people at UserLand actually get paid.

IMO, copyright is still important, but I can still be pro-copyright and anti-RIAA. The RIAA is trying to divert attention from the real problems by waving accusations of piracy. Copyright is a technicality; it's not the big picture. When your rules don't agree with reality you should change the rules, not the reality.