Re: Napster and Software

Author:Jonathan Hendry

It's not for me to say what Dave's motivation is, but maybe the apparent contradiction you see has something to do with this: When people buy CDs, the artists get little to nothing. When people buy Frontier, presumably the people at UserLand actually get paid.

The problem with this is that, if artists are publishing their own CDs (such as in the case of Ani Difranco or Jane Siberry) Napster is even *worse*.

Take away the labels, and you've still got a culture of copyright violation, which hurts the artists. I doubt that self-distributed artists are cut any slack on Napster.

I suspect we'll eventually see more artists taking Siberry's approach, and reducing concert appearances to very expensive and exclusive affairs. A few dozen people paying $200+ each for an intimate concert.