Re: Napster and Software

Author:Ken MacLeod

OK, that's the inverse argument: one only pays once for any performance (recording) of a work.

This has nothing to do with the RIAA. Apply it to your favorite local band. They put out a tape three years ago, a few months ago they put out a CD from the same recording session (trying to keep most things equal here).

If I understand you correctly, you think it's OK for me to copy a friend's CD of that session onto my own CDR as long as I have once bought that tape.

If that is what you're saying, OK then, I disagree!