Re: Napster and Software

Author:Jacob Levy

I understand you correctly, you think it's OK for me to copy a friend's CD of that session onto my own CDR as long as I have once bought that tape.

If that is what you're saying, OK then, I disagree!

No. That's not what I am saying. There are media and quality differences between the same session recorded on tape and on CD. There are production costs associated with putting out the new CD, shelf space costs and other distribution costs.

There is a crucial difference between MP3 and the rest of these distribution mechanisms: MP3 do not cost anything to produce and distribute (or more correctly, if you're on a flat rate cable modem or DSL, you already paid for the bits).

If I own the CD and there's someone on Napster that has ripped the CD and I find them and download the bits, what is the difference from a scenario where I rip my own CD and put it on my computer?

If I own the casette tape and rip it, am I making an illegal copy? If you're saying yes to that then we disagree.

Anyways, all that is water under the bridge. I mostly use Napster to sample stuff that I don't know about, and I've ended up buying lots of CDs of music that I only learned about from using Napster and the like. This points out an even more interesting disconnect, a question: why can't I pay, today, for MP3 if I want to? Why is the RIAA preventing me from doing that? Why do I have to even buy the CD in order to feel I legitimately own the music?

I think it's very telling that the RIAA is entrenched in their old "trucking" model of distribution. MP3 is just not legit for them -- first they have to accept that as a legit format, then we can move forward.