Re: scriptingNews outline for 7/14/2000

Author:Dave Winer

Here's the problem with reading this thing assuming factual accuracy. He starts off with inaccurate fact. There was indeed a catcall, and Ballmer did respond. Other people heard it. I'm sure the whole event was recorded, so they could go back and listen to the Ballmer presentation and they would at least hear his response, if not the catcall. They clearly didn't do any fact checking on that piece.

So from that point on, how can you assume that he doesn't see me as a conspiracy buff? He gets everything else wrong, why assume he's being fair there and not thinking of me that way.

Anyway, I've gotten a lot of email on this, and there have been enough postings saying exactly this. I'm not going to put any more time into this, and if Cooper or ZDNet cares to clarify the piece, or retract it, I'll let you know.

There may be more to say about integrity and ZD, though. But I don't want to go there this morning.