Re: SN Radio

Author:John Belew
Posted:7/18/2000; 1:02:09 PM
Topic:SN Radio

You stole my idea ;). Honestly, I've been running a Frontier based jukebox here at Organic for almost a year. I was using the same technique for doing voice-overs until about 2 months ago when the AT&T site finally banned my machine's IP. Server from a Windows based machine, I would just encode the results returned using Xing's command line MP3 enncoder.

To make up for the loss of that functionality, I've been looking into a package called Festival. It runs on most *NIX platforms, so with a little perl work... it shouldn't be to hard to setup some sort of XML-RPC wrapper around it. I could even encode the MP3 on the Festival host rather than the Frontier server this way.

Technology-wise... In addition to the AT&T thing, we're using IceCast for the actual streaming, and MySQL for the database. Frontier started bogging down as soon as we hit about 5k song records. Lot's of command line stuff going on. Anyways... good luck with your project.