SN Radio

Author:Keola Donaghy
Posted:7/18/2000; 11:24:55 AM
Topic:SN Radio

Prediction: Scripting News will be a radio station in a year.

I've been thinking along similar lines, Dave. Check this out:

http://www.olelo.hawaii.edu/mp3/scripting.mov

This is using AT&T's voice synthesizer. Pretty darn impressive. I just entered the text onto their websites form and it can return either an AIFF or AU sound. In this case i manually converted to QT.

I envision sending text from Frontier/Manila to this CGI to generate audio, then converting it to MP3 on the fly. Change the story and get a new audio file generated. Once music licensing issues are settled users can select what songs they want to hear from your/my/whoevers play list to listen to between stories. Everyone becomes their own PD (program director).

I'm already using Frontier with a QuickTime Streaming Server to allow users to search a database of QT files and go to exact parts of the QT files they want, works like a champ.

Here's the URL of their TTS demo:

http://www.research.att.com/~mjm/cgi-bin/ttsdemo

Keola

PS - if they only made it work with Hawaiian I'd be one happy camper. ;-)