Rebuttal

Author:Dave Winer

Now switching back into my own body.

It's very understandable that Apple wants to retain control of this information. It's also entirely Apple's business if they want to restrict access to the information within their organization, or with developers under NDA, or press people who agree to an embargo. If any of these people break the confidentiality they agreed to, bring the full force of Apple's legal department down on them, if that's what you want to do.

But there's a line you must not cross. That line is into the journalism space. The editors of MacInTouch, who I have known for 16 years, are the highest integrity journalists I know. Further, Ric Ford, the editor in chief, has stayed with the Mac through its whole lifetime, which is more than anyone except perhaps Chris Espinosa, can say. He's owed, imho, an extra amount of respect by Apple, for his steadfast determination to help the Macintosh and its users.

All that aside, freedom of the press is precious. As far as I know there's no legal precedent for Apple's actions. It's unfair, and it should not be tolerated.

That's my pov, and thanks for listening.