Re: Are there cheap and decent digital cameras?

Author:Scott Hanson
Posted:7/22/2000; 12:20:25 PM
Topic:Are there cheap and decent digital cameras?

Hi Karl,

Since I'm not in the States, I can't recommend specific models and prices, but it sounds like that 1) you're not a 'serious' photographer (neither am I), and 2) you're interested in online pictures only, not prints.

Then you're probably going to be happy with a low-end camera with a resolution of 800x600 pixels or even only 640x480. The resolution determines the general price class, then other features like lens quality and optical zoom come into play.

We were looking for a camera that could do prints, so 6 months ago we went for the Nikon 800 for $750. It does 1600x1200 pixels and optical zoom. I've seen it here in Germany for around $600 now, so in the States it might be close to $500. We're happy with it. It's easy to use and the quality is comparable to the Nikon 950 (which Dave and Susan have), but without some of the bells and whistles.