On Harry Chapin....

Author:Ross Karchner
Posted:7/22/2000; 12:46:56 PM
Topic:On Harry Chapin....

Hello,

I guess I would be a 2nd generation Harry Chapin fan (20 years old)... My parents would play Harry Chapin and Billy Joel albums on sunday afternoon when I was young, and several Chapin ballads (Taxi, Sequel, Sniper, Corey, Always 17) made a definite impresssion on me. (Although I was too young at the time to know what he meant by "Flying So High when he is stoned" in Taxi.)

Unfortunately, I can't be an example of Dave's idea of a young person finding Harry's music on Napster — napster really lacks a way to explore music... to be effective, you really need to be looking for something specific... Mixing napster functionality with an Amazon.com-like reccomendation system would be great.

I have found it most useful in finding interesting live pieces, covers, duets, and remixes (Nick Cave, Pearl Jam, and Concrete Blonde singing Cave's "Ship Song" live is pure gold).

The artist that interests me the most at the moment is Nelly Furtado, who's song "Party's Just Begun" I first heard on the soundtrack to Brokedown Palace, and have gotten my hands on a prerelease of her debut album due out in September... you can hear some samples at www.whoanelly.com, and might be able to find "Party's Just Begun" on Napster. She has a very interesting mix of trip-hop,pop, and world music, and I reccomend her to just about anyone....

-Ross