Re: But who do you pay?

Author:Jim Stegman
Posted:8/4/2000; 6:54:48 AM
Topic:Needlepoint Copying

What's the PRS model for radio stations and bars/restaurants which play recorded music?

Somebody explained it to me once. As I remember it, it was a complicated formula, depending on alot of factors... Is it a bar or a restaurant? How many customers are served? What style of music do you play? Then an amount to be paid per month is determined, and it is paid to a central organization. (evidently there are several) This organization doles out payment to the studios or artists or whatever using another complicated formula depending on the "popularity" of the artist.

I was surprized at the time that you did not pay X cents to artist Y when his/her song was played. I suppose that is too complicated, so the middlemen had to simplify things . Let's start a revolution by (gasp) paying the artists directly!

I learned all this once when we were exhibiting at a local user group convention. We made up a little video with some music, and this guy hassled us over playing this music in a public forum without paying for it. It suprised the $%#* out of me, since we had paid for the CDs which were used to make the tape. According to this guy, that doesn't count!

I'll do a little research and report back. it can't be that hard to find this out.