Re: But who do you pay?

Author:Jonathan Hendry
Posted:8/4/2000; 8:10:17 AM
Topic:Needlepoint Copying

I learned all this once when we were exhibiting at a local user group convention. We made up a little video with some music, and this guy hassled us over playing this music in a public forum without paying for it. It suprised the $%#* out of me, since we had paid for the CDs which were used to make the tape. According to this guy, that doesn't count!

Most CD's, and/or their liner notes, show a bunch of restrictions (not for public performance, etc.) on how the CD can be used.

It's not that unusual. Photographers and illustrators do something similar. They'll sell you the rights to use an image for an in-house layout, but that price doesn't give you the right to use the image in an actual ad campaign, fer instance. That would be a lot more money.