Mensches in the music biz?

Author:Maurice Rickard
Posted:8/4/2000; 7:31:05 AM
Topic:Mensches in the music biz?

Corey Rusk, who runs Touch and Go in Chicago would seem to fit that definition. The general rule seems to be that the label and the band split CD/LP profits 50-50. The page at http://centerstage.net/chicago/music/whoswho/TouchandGoRecor.html has contact information, plus a glowing compliment from none other than Steve Albini about the quality of the label. (Not for the easily offended, I guess.) Touch and Go products can be found on the Web at http://www.southern.com/

Another mensch would be Ian Mckaye of the band Fugazi and the label Dischord. His policy has been for all shows to be all-ages, and ticket and cd prices to be kept low. More information is available here: http://www.southern.com/southern/band/FUGAZ/biog.html

Admittedly, this is all in the punk/indie space, but that is the subculture with which I'm most familiar.