Re: Killer idea for the music industry

Author:Jonathan Hendry
Posted:8/6/2000; 12:20:23 PM
Topic:Killer idea for the music industry

Is it not the same thing? Music is information

Is it? I'd argue that it isn't. Music is music. It doesn't appear to fit the definition of information according to Merriam-Webster.

I'm inclined to think of information as something that exists apart from its expression. The information is the part that is expressed regardless of how something is summarized, paraphrased, translated, or otherwise modified. If you translate the Declaration of Independance into German, the information content is there, but it's a very different piece of text.