Re: Killer idea for the music industry

Author:Cameron Smith
Posted:8/5/2000; 3:26:23 PM
Topic:Killer idea for the music industry

Is it not the same thing? Music is information. Easily offering and finding music files is facilitating distribution of music files, hence, distributing information. The only part that's missing is the "free" part, although I could argue that by "free" I meant "easy" or "simple".

In any case, I'm really not that interested in Napster itself; whether it was intentional or not, Napster has been very effective in promoting the concept of ubiquitous, peer-to-peer file sharing into the consciousness of the Internet community. And we shouldn't blinker ourselves: the issues being faced by the music industry are already being faced by other industries, resulting in my suggestion that an ID3-like tag be appended to file formats for video, graphics, and even text.