RIAA vs AOL?

Author:Jacob Levy
Posted:8/8/2000; 3:51:24 PM
Topic:RIAA vs AOL?

Dave

Doesn't AOL, through its ownership of WB, own the music they're posting on the Winamp service? If so they're not violating their copyright, they're actually exercising their right to use the napster way of distributing their songs. They own it, they can give it away. Napster doesn't have that right, because they dont own the IP, that's the fundamental difference. So they get sued by RIAA including AOL.

Where's the disconnect? I don't see any.

Of course, if the Winamp service goes (as claimed in reports I read, unconfirmed by me) further than that, if it allows you to store *any* music on the service, well then they'd be violating copyrights held by other members of the RIAA.

It'll be interesting to see how this develops.