Re: RIAA vs AOL?

Author:Jacob Levy
Posted:8/8/2000; 4:46:12 PM
Topic:RIAA vs AOL?

I think you're being coy. That's OK, I like coy.

My fault, I didnt intend to be coy, if you understood me that way then sorry, not intended.

My point: AOL, through its ownership of WB, owns at least some of the music they post there, so its OK for them to do what Napster is doing. AOL can give away the bits if they want to and still sue Napster for doing the same thing, because AOL has the right to do it whereas Napster doesn't (at least that's their claim, I'm not a lawyer). AOL owns the goddam bits, Napster doesn't. That's all there is to it.

Clear enough? What's there to be confused about, here? It's not a matter of credibility, I don't think the Winamp story is relevant to Napster's trial.