Doc Searls Inerview about Patents

Author:marekj
Posted:8/12/2000; 8:37:05 AM
Topic:I patent breathing. I was here first. Quit breathing.

click to read the entire interview

here are some pieces of Doc's interview worth pondering

"software itself is something that is really stupid to patent because it works better if we all own some of this stuff than if only one of us owns some of it. The Internet would never be here if it was up to companies working alone to do it"

"I think we're literally building out a new world, a second world that's of our own creation, that surrounds the physical world that's familiar to us. It's a social space. It's ours, it's not mine. It gives new powers to me, but it fundamentally is like the air that we breathe. The patent argument inside that is similar, I think in some ways, to trying to patent the ocean or patent the air. You can't, you know. It's absurd in the terms that those contexts present. "