Re: Giving birth through conversation

Author:Tom von Alten
Posted:8/14/2000; 8:17:49 PM
Topic:I patent breathing. I was here first. Quit breathing.

That often takes four years or more.

Just out of curiosity, I looked to see how the USPTO is doing these days.

They issued 3442 utility patents on August 1st (the most recent batch on their website; they come out on a two week cycle?). I looked at the statistics for the filing date of the last 50 of those.

Average = 3.1 years
Minimum = 1.4 years
Maximum = 15.0 years (filed in 1985?! Next highest was 6.7)
Std. Dev. = 1.9 years (0.9 without the flier)

It's probably a little understated; I noticed one filed mid-1999 that was a continuation of an earlier filing. I used the original filing date, but might have missed others like that.

Since we passed 6,000,000 last December, that's right around 100,000 in 8 months. We should pass 7 million well before the mid-oughts.

Tom von Alten