Re: DeCSS decision

Author:Dennis Peterson
Posted:8/18/2000; 1:15:38 PM
Topic:DeCSS decision

So I can't fault the judge for focusing his trial on the facts and letting the appeals courts haggle over the constitutional issues.

I'm not faulting him either. I was just objecting to the statement "DCMA law says it's illegal to distribute or make a program whose purpose is to circumvent a legal copyright. The judge's hands were tied in this case, sorry." I've seen a lot of people say this, as if judges did not have the ability to rule laws unconstitutional. Jacob's overall point was more complex than that, of course.