Re: ESR and Apple's irrelevance

Author:Ken MacLeod
Posted:8/28/2000; 10:59:08 AM
Topic:ESR and Apple's irrelevance

I believe their support model is much more specific than that (although what you describe might be something they do want to get into). For example, RedHat and several other companies already provide phone support service for Linux.

Eazel's focus (or one of them, that I've heard) is on providing automatic update service (not for one particular package, but for an entire distribution, say RedHat or Debian). They take a "somewhat stable" distribution (like RedHat's RawHide), and provide somewhat tested automatic updates. Their success will depend on some Q/A testing of what will be updated, before sending out the updates to users.

The risk is that there are already several "auto-updaters" already available, for free (gratis and libre) for Linux. Anyone can pick a stable, semi-stable, or development tree as the source for auto-updates.

I think Eazel's focus is the user experience around the auto-update feature.