Artists' profit from copyrights

Author:Seth Gordon
Posted:9/5/2000; 6:55:50 AM
Topic:Artists' profit from copyrights

How much revenue from copyright royalties do artists (writers, composers, musicians, photographers) get? I'm interested in aggregate figures for the US economy as a whole, not revenue per book/CD/whatever. Also, I want to distinguish between, say, the income that a writer receives as a salary from a newspaper and the income that s/he receives as royalties from publishin a book.

When discussing alternatives to the current intellectual property system, having this figure handy would be a useful data point.