Manila as a general editor?

Author:josh daghlian
Posted:9/8/2000; 8:43:11 AM
Topic:Manila as a general editor?

I'm not a Manila user (yet?), and my apologies if this should actually be on www.outliners.com, but...

How hard would it be to make Manila into a generic renderer rather than just an HTML renderer? For example, I would love an outliner that had some awareness of LaTeX instead of HTML. Updating a page that contained TeX would use a separate TeX app to generate a GIF of the hard math that HTML couldn't handle. Perhaps a bit of syntax highlighting and a link to a separate TeX app would take care of it (or have you hidden lots of complexity too well?).

Writing scientific papers and docs would be loads easier with such a system. Math/physics/engineering types could then communicate over the web as easily as "regular text" people do now. For example, "Hey, Professor, here's three horrible lines of calculus; where's my minus-sign error?" and then the prof could respond appropriately.

In other words, Manila could be taught to shunt TeX/LaTeX to a separate app, thereby becoming a great scientific collaboration tool.

Just a thought. --jd