Re: Data Captivity in WebApps

Author:Richard Rodseth
Posted:9/8/2000; 2:24:41 PM
Topic:Data Captivity in WebApps

Here's a chance for the Frontier development community to lead the entire Internet. We've got a web app that coughs up all its data. You've got a free tool with a scripting language and HTML rendering and lots of XML support that can process all that stuff.

Let me step out of lurk mode and clear up my confusion. I assume that the "free tool" is Pike or Radio Userland (same thing?). Is the intention that this free tool will remain free after Beta, and wouldn't it be a good idea to be explicit about that? The heading at http://pikebeta.userland.com/ says "Free for everyone. The writer's web". At the bottom of the page it says "...since Pike is a free public beta..." It seems to me that if there's a free (or even cheap) client side site-editing tool which can export to XML that would alleviate a lot of concerns about "lock-in". It would be even more compelling if the scripting language was a standard one. (No criticism of Dave or Userland implied, I'm just trying to understand and weigh options)

Thanks

Richard