Control of distribution

Author:isaac
Posted:9/10/2000; 11:28:21 PM
Topic:Discuss by email?

You did it in the wrong order. First explain what you want to do, then ask if it's OK. I would do the same if you operated a server. Now I'm sure I don't want my postings going out that way. I use the editor to revise my messages. I assume other people do the same. That's the other side of the equation. When I looked at adding this feature that was my deciding factor. I could have done it by changing a single pref for the site, but decided not to do it, because it would change the culture, and this group has been here since Oct 1998 and decided it was too old to change that. So please turn your service off. Thanks.

Just an innocent question here, Dave:

Did your much-loved Napster explain to the music industry what it would do, then ask all those content-owners if it was OK? I know that there are artists who don't want their music "going out that way", just as you would rather that your DG content was not available by Aaron's email service.

The music industry has, generally speaking, been operating in their way (right or wrong) since long before Oct 1998. Is it now too old to change *that*?

When some artists started lawsuits and campaigns, did Napster turn their service off? Do you think they should have?

When you ask Aaron to turn off his service, do you think he should comply?

I've not used Napster, but I got a friend to demo it, and it looked very cool (the true "mind bomb" as you would call it). MP3s are wonderful also. But may there be a moral right of creators to control distribution of their work? Is it not polite to make them aware of the possibilities, and encourage them to change their mind?

Is Aaron Swartz a rough equivalent of Shawn Fanning (that's the Napster guy, right?) in this sense? He's come up with a cool method to access content in a specific way. A method that there is demand for (even if only the single user!). A method that you have not made available (just as many RIAA managed musicians have not provided their music online in MP3 format).

Something to think about. I look forward to hearing you answers (and questions, no doubt).