Napster and Betamax Parallel

Author:Ralph Hempel
Posted:9/13/2000; 3:18:32 PM
Topic:Napster and Betamax Parallel

From the ZDNET article...

Indeed, Napster has no patents, and relies on generic and widely used database and file-transfer software in its operations, programs that will continue to exist even if Napster shuts down. The "peer-to-peer" computing system that Napster helped popularize has attracted a number of Silicon Valley start-ups, which plan to use it for unambiguously legal purposes, such as searching for information.

Hmmm. The problem with this argument is that we are all a bit too close to the situation. We all "understand" how common file transfer protocols, databases, CD ripping, CD burning, etc work. At least we think we understand. Most of us can do these things at home with little difficulty.

Those of us old enough to remember the Betamax recorder thought it was pretty much magic back then. But the fact remains that it relies on tried and true electronics and mechanics.

The difference between Betamax and Napster is that we probably could not build a VCR in our garage, but we can use Napster easily.

What I'm trying to say is that just because Napster doesn't have any patents, doesn't mean that it's not original. The Betamax recorder is a collection of well-known ideas assembled in a unique way. So is Napster.

As an engineer, I have marveled many times at what the USPTO will grant patents for, and how far companies will go to get and defend them. As usual, the only guys making money off this are the lawyers.

Cheers, Ralph Hempel - P.Eng.