Elegance of World Outlines

Author:Russell Lipton
Posted:9/24/2000; 11:36:23 AM
Topic:Elegance of World Outlines

Reading and pondering today's DaveNet as it evolves.

Structure (here: outlines) limits but, like all structure, it also makes creativity possible. Music itself, with its many classic structures, fully demonstrates this principle.

I am still trying to get my mind around the amazing collaborations that Radio Userland will make possible, based around the consistent application of outlining to writing (in all its forms) online - weblogs, playlists, directories, discussion, chat and email.

(Considering programming as a kind of writing a la Knuth et al, collaborations in that domain should be very exciting as well).

There really is something seminal here, imho.

I tend to think the world outline is parallel to the current Web (neither identical nor orthogonal). It makes me wonder whether the distant future won't have n-Webs, each based around an irreducibly elegant organizing principle that enable people ("P"-to-P) more opportunity for joyful community.

(Of course, they will communicate and interpenetrate, yet not necessarily be subsumed into each other).

The so-far classic Web arose from the irreducibly elegant and simple notion of the "link". The next may indeed arise from the principle of the "outline".

Why not?

I can also see why it is so important for Userland to nail the opportunities and dangers of open source. Opening this up to tens of thousands of developers (not a dozen; not a hundred) is crucial. Yet, losing integrity or control so it all turned into chaotic noise would be disastrous.