Re: Foreign Aid

Author:Jonathan Hendry
Posted:9/26/2000; 4:14:14 PM
Topic:Cheney?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I'm not against global commerce. I strongly believe in global commerce. My arguments are along the lines of American military police actions and Foreign Aid and the money spent there as opposed to fixing what needs it in America.

The point is that, if you buy things that are made overseas, or if you work in an industry that wants to sell overseas, then the status of other countries can effect you quite strongly. The US doesn't operate in a vacuum, all you need to do is look at the price of imported oil for evidence of that.

If the American economy is going to rely to such a huge extent on trade with other countries, then it would be irresponsible for the government to not be involved with the affairs of other countries. Even if foreign aid and foreign involvement were cut and we turned turtle, we'd still be involved in foreign affairs.

If we're going to be involved anyway, we might as well be proactive about it.