Re: Foreign Aid

Author:Donald W. Larson
Posted:9/26/2000; 4:26:44 PM
Topic:Cheney?

The point is that, if you buy things that are made overseas, or if you work in an industry that wants to sell overseas, then the status of other countries can effect you quite strongly. The US doesn't operate in a vacuum, all you need to do is look at the price of imported oil for evidence of that.

I didn't say we operate in a vacuum. We have no need to subsidize the behavior of the rest of the world, that's all.

If the American economy is going to rely to such a huge extent on trade with other countries, then it would be irresponsible for the government to not be involved with the affairs of other countries. Even if foreign aid and foreign involvement were cut and we turned turtle, we'd still be involved in foreign affairs.

We can be involved with foreign affairs. We just don't need to pay them for our inclusion in the process or provide military policing in such matters.

Think of the possible relationship between two countries for instance, Iceland and Afganistan. Do you mean to tell me that they both have to exchange foreign aid and provide military policing to maintain their trading status? Give me a break! It's just as ridicules for the U.S. to do so.

If we're going to be involved anyway, we might as well be proactive about it.

We can be involved but not in the two ways I'be been harping about.

Don