Re: Vote of confidence

Author:Micah Alpern

I'd agree with the above statements. I consider the discussion group a way to comment on topics mentioned on Scripting News. I know you (Dave) occasionally read it and it's a way for me to tell you and others in the Scripting News community what I think without disrupting your inboxs. At the same time I understand your concern about others dumping there do do on your site. I think your policy of, "good fences make good neighbors" is the right way to handle things. I would agree with the above suggestion that you become more of a lurker on the discussion group (although we'll be sorry to see you go) and concentrate on the News section. I also wouldn't necessarily link any and all inflammatory discussion group messages to the news page. I understand if your doing this out of a sense of journalistic integrity, but it merely exacerbates the problem, encouraging more inappropriate discussion group dumping. I've never seen someone's negative ZDNet comment promoted to a front page story.

Lastly, with regards to contributing to the Userland/Scripting News community, I purchase annual subscriptions to Frontier for both Mac and Windows even though I have not yet mastered the program, because I want to support what you and your company are doing. Thanks for the news, ideas, entertainment, and software.

Micah