Sun's AOL Press Release

Author:Chris Gorski
Posted:11/28/1998; 7:30:23 AM
Topic:Sun's AOL Press Release

The last paragraph of Sun's AOL press release reads:

"In addition, both AOL and Sun will use Java technology to develop the next generation of nomadic devices that will enable Internet users to access AOL, Sun, and other ISPs from any device, such as personal digital assistants, set-top boxes and screen phones. The move speeds the development of Java technology-enabled information appliances, expanding the reach of Java and JiniTM technologies on SolarisTM and Windows desktops."

Huh?

I thought that Java was platform-neutral. Don't they know that there are an awful lot of Mac users on AOL? Why does Sun define "Java Everywhere" as Solaris Windows? This is something that *really* irritates me.

Chris

P.S. Hypothetical: Suppose Sun violated the terms of its contract with a licensee, say Apple or Digital for instance. What would happen if that licensee hauled Sun into court for breach of contract? I think that would be interesting.