Innovation

Author:Dru Oja Jay
Posted:11/30/1998; 11:16:50 AM
Topic:What if there were a third browser?

New possibilities for making the interface more intuitive and/or powerful are barely even considered anymore - for example, why can't I, within a page, tell a search engine to search for keyword x, y layers deep, within the context of that page. And while we're at it, why isn't the web integrated with the rest of my computer: I should be able to select a word in a word processor and tell my browser to go go get me the definition from an online dictionary, synonyms from a thesaurus, or just search the web for that word.

why are we so limited? There's a lot left to do! These are just a few examples.. Almost all the browsers seem to ignore the endless array of useful possibilities that are right there. Apple's sherlock almost does this, but why have the extra step of copy & paste?

the list goes on....

cheers,

Dru