Re: Person of the Millenium -- Newton, QE1

Author:Kevin Shaum
Posted:12/1/1998; 9:12:09 PM
Topic:Person of the Millenium?

Woman of the Millennium: Queen Elizabeth I of England; I can't think of another woman even close in terms of influence on history.

I agree that Martin Luther deserves consideration. But my personal choice for Person of the Millennium? Sir Isaac Newton.

Newton contributed to *so many* fields of inquiry, from mathematics to mechanical physics to optics to astronomy; one has to go all the way back to Aristotle to find another scientist/naturalist of similar breadth, vision, and influence. (Galileo might have come close if not for his inquiries being cut short by the Church.)