Re: DSL Comments?

Author:Michael Esveldt
Posted:12/12/1998; 2:16:29 PM
Topic:DSL Comments?

On the other side of the fence...

I spent 4 months trying to get a DSL from US West. My order was lost 3 times, I was lied to (literally) about my access being ready, I was forced to listen to rude support people, told I would be called back and then never was (6 times) I was shipped from department to department because no one could help me and when finally I was shipped to the right level of tech support my "trouble tickets" were lost (4 times).

I spent close to 36 hours on the phone with US West during the past few months and when finally I got somewhere through desperate measures and total commitment to getting the service I wanted.

Now that it's operational it works great. I get the same IP every time I log on (even though its DHCP), I get consistent and fast speeds, and best of all... I never have to called US West and listen to that damn music.

For anyone going through what I went through with US West here are some tips:

1) Don't worry about offending people, be straight forward, firm and ask to speak to a supervisor immediately.

2) Ask for everyones name and write it down. Even if you don't actually use the names it still gets you better results from the person you're talking to (it really works.)

3) Never let them call you back, say that's not acceptable and "if you can't help me, give me to someone who can".

It seems that "We don't care, we don't have to" still applies with the phone companies. Alas...

Note: A very special thanks to Tom who is the only person at US West to every talk to me like an intelligent individual, the only person to every call me back, and the only person to ever show an invested interest in my service. Tom, I salute you.