Re: DSL Comments?

Author:Eric Soroos
Posted:12/14/1998; 12:29:29 PM
Topic:DSL Comments?

This mirrors my experience.

I first called in August, and got the connection up and running in the first week of December. Once the service was set up, it works well. (I'm in Seattle, if it helps)

I'm not using USWorst as my ISP, since I wanted a static IP and they charge ~$30 a month to get one. I went with Seanet, which gets me a static IP for the $20/month isp cost that I would have had with USWest. The only drawback is that I pay for bandwidth used above 2 gigs at $12 a gig. Seanet has been very helpful; I highly recommend them.

The other reason that I like seanet is that since I have the static IP, the router/modem thingy (cisco 675) is actually running as a router, and not a bridge. That way it can do NAT and run all of my computers through the same IP, while mapping incoming connections to individual IP's. It's much more convient than running it through a linux box to do that.

The one drawback that I see (hear?) is that while you can use your phone at the same time, there is so much static on the line that it hurts my ear after about 2 minutes. I'm using their little filters, but they don't seem to do anything.

Update after living with this for 15 days....

I didn't think the speed was all that great till I put linux on one of my desktop machines. Web pages just snap into place now. NS4.05 for linux seems about twice as fast as IE 4/NT on a machine that is half the speed. Downloading kernel source is pretty quick too...