Re: Writing on a palmtop?

Author:packetphilter@geekfun.com
Posted:1/4/1999; 8:30:58 PM
Topic:Scripting News for PalmPilot users

I have written extensively on my Palm Pro, though I don't do it so much anymore. It is a little cramped and slow, though a better stylus makes it much easier. On the other hand, anything I enter in is searchable and easiliy accessible from one or More desktops.

It is great for composing e-mail to be sent at the next hot sync. Instead of writing myself a note to send someone e-mail I can just send them e-mail.

I have also used it to catch up on news with AvantGo, read books with Aportis Doc and to browse the web and send e-mail using a Ricochet Wireless modem.

I was impressed with how well it worked in the later roll. Contrary to the picture some people posting here have, there are some useable on-line web browsers out for the palm that work reasonably well. Some support forms and could be used for communicating data back to an http server.

I also think that Palm's plan for lightweight query front ends for wireless communication apps can work very well. Perhaps something similar, with a bit more runtime configurability could work well in conjunction with a frontier backed web server. (I am not so sure how I feel about the pricing of the initial wireless service planned for the next Palm.

As for building things for AvantGo. Don't limit the chanels link depth, turn of retrieval of links from outside hosts and modify your presentation to avoid links to outside the discussion group tree. I have more ideas, but someone has to pay me for them.