Re: Writing on a palmtop?

Author:Jesper Anderson
Posted:1/4/1999; 6:18:54 PM
Topic:Scripting News for PalmPilot users

I use my WinCE machine, a Casio Cassiopeia E10 for both casual and serious notetaking. It has only 4 MB of on board storage, but with a 32 MB flash card it can hold a sizeable amount of information.

To overcome the slow character by character jot/graffiti input method I use the FITALY virtual keyboard, a one hand Dvorak inspired layout. It works surprisingly well, if not as good as a real keyboard.

WinCE is an interesting alternative to the Palm Pilot. The things to remember is, no Mac support, short battery life (a few days as opposed to the Pilot's months), larger screen, more speed and less programs available. However, a lot of the Pilot stuff is usable on the WinCE platform as is.

Also, the WinCE PPC has built in support for a special type of channels. It would be interesting if the Pilot could somehow be coaxed to use the same channel system; it works very well for me, pushing contents down on the palm device for me to read when I feel like it.

Thanks for your time,

Jesper