In Stock @barnesandnoble.com

Author:joubin
Posted:1/31/1999; 11:48:05 AM
Topic:In Stock @barnesandnoble.com

Yes, they have your book: "In Stock -- ships wiithin 24 hours".

On 01.06 I went book hunting on the net. First I check in with Amazon, which said the book was no in stock but would be shipped within 2 weeks. Then I went barnesannobles, and the book was "in stock"!.

Great. So I order the book. Next day I get an email from barnesandnobles saying thank you for your order, we currently DON'T have your book in stock, but it will be shipped within 2 weeks, to which I replied (and cc'd amazon.com to make a point in commerce):

-

Dear barnesandnoble.com

I must say that as a first time customer I am VERY disappointed. What is one to think? That your website information is not to be _trusted_?

The ONLY reason I placed this order w/ you & not amazon.com is because amazon.com had _clearly_ (honestly?) indicated that this book would be shipped in 1-2 weeks; you however had _clearly_ indicated 1-2 DAYS. In making this decision (based on the availability of the product) I also had to forgo the added services offered (at the same price as yours) offered by amazon.com.

Looks like I made the wrong choice here.

FYI:

IF you KNOW that an item is available for shipping, _that_ is the information you should post in your site; if it is not, then DON'T SAY SO. IF you must "anticipate", then prey, use the technology at hand and do a DB Lookup on your inventory when you serve webpages which I am sure are dynamically generated. If they are not, then get on with the program!

In short, try to be accurate and factual. Anticipation & guesswork is NOT what I am looking for in an eCommerce outlet: i.e. TIMELY and FACTUAL information regarding the services offered. -

On 1.28 (!) [that's 22 days later folks] I get another email from 'service' at barnesandnobles.com saying that the book is on "back order".

At which point I canceled the order.

(p.s. this is not an endorsement of amazon.com's service as I have not yet used their service)

(p.s.s. The book, 'Primates : The Amazing World of Lemurs, Monkeys and Apes', is STILL marked as in stock, as of today!)