WebDAV, the DG, Dreamweaver, Golive

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:2/10/1999; 8:53:47 AM
Topic:WebDAV, the DG, Dreamweaver, Golive

Posted to the Script-Meridian community list as part of a thread on the differences between Dreamweaver and Frontier.

Let me chime in here with my two cents.

I think the key is to put some features into Frontier that make it clear how people on a team using Dreamweaver or Golive can get their stuff integrated into a Frontier-managed site. That would create a web page somewhere that we could point to that says "Here's how you work with wizzy DHTML design tools and our server-side content management system."

It seems to me that the glue that could connect us is WebDAV. I've been putting in an hour or so a day for the last week or so reading the WebDAV spec. I think I have a clue at this point how that would work. I'm interested in knowing if there are any powerscripters that would like to work on a project to get Frontier 6 minimally DAVable. I say minimally because I don't believe DAV can ever work with the full Frontier functionality. Its model is fundamentally different from ours. I realized that when I saw Wes's implementation about a year ago. To think of the odb as a space that can be DAV'd into is unrealistic. It explodes into more code than we've written in the last four years. Not something we want to do.

http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/webdav/protocol/draft-ietf-webdav-protocol-10.txt

However, here's the key idea -- we have a simplified content space in Frontier 6, believe it or not (this takes some getting used to) the discussion group is the collaborative backbone for web development in Frontier 6. A simple DAV interface into and out of the DG would be magic for template designers working in Dreamweaver and Golive. I know that DW is going to support DAV, and they'd be nuts not to suppot DAV in Golive, it's perfect for them.

What's needed is a working group, like the one for Regex or ODBC, to swarm on the DAV spec and figure out how to hook it into mainResponder.respond. I am willing to work with this group, but only so far as to hook the implementation into our server software. We need a leader here, someone who thinks this is neat and who understands the problem at a technical level and can work with Golive and Dreamweaver users, and perhaps Adobe and Macromedia and certainly with UserLand. Is anyone up for a research project here?