Re: DG and Umlaute (ä and friends)

Author:Christoph Pingel
Posted:2/22/1999; 6:40:30 AM
Topic:DG and Umlaute (ä and friends)

Please do that, Kurt, since NT/Mac Combos will be a familiar environment for content management with Frontier 6, I'd guess. It's important to be safe in that environment.

OTOH, I think that the issue should be solved with Brent's patch (http://discuss.userland.com/msgReader$3044) or whatever similar Userland will come up with.

As I understand it, the problem is related to the hexadecimal encoding/decoding process. HTTP-POST and HTTP-GET arguments are usually encoded using the latin charset, even in a Mac browser. The "plain" decoding (like in string.urldecode) knows nothing about different charsets on Windows or Mac, so on the Mac you will get strange characters for what used to be a simple Umlaut. Brent's fix fixes this by appying a converter (iso to mac) to the POST arguments decoded in Frontier/Mac.

I actually don't know if this is an issue with XML-RPC, but I'd be glad to know for sure that it's not...