News protocols (was Scripting 2 on my.netscape!)

Author:Dan Lyke
Posted:2/25/1999; 10:17:00 AM
Topic:Scripting 2 on my.netscape!

With the recent discussion amongs several of us who run whatever sort of site Scripting News is (microportal? weblog? journal?) about common interchange formats for things like my.netscape and sharing between our sites, and your previous message saying Dave should specify a protocol, I started thinking about the features I want in such a protocol:

In between servers the protocol should be push based to allow for real-time updates; end-users should be able to sort and cull messages based on poster, topic, keyword searches and such; to save on bandwidth the topology doesn't need to be a strict many-to-many; and so on...

And all of a sudden it hit me that we're just talking about reimplementing NNTP, if you want to get fancy we could add the changes Elf Sternberg proposes in his call to Balkanize Usenet.

Everything's a rehash.