Re: Linux and winning

Author:Chris Sutton

I'd like to run linux on my desktop (read: My desktop==a server), but right now, a couple of applications drive my os choice.

I am running linux on my desktop (or at least trying), but lack of a couple of applications (Word,Excel,Powerpoint) are driving me crazy, especially when someone sends a "Word Memo" attached to an e-mail.

I'm the 1 man IS department for a predominatly Mac office and relatively new to Linux, but have jumped in with both feet, moving all e-mail and filesharing from NT to Linux.

It was the hellish migration away from Exchange coupled with everyones dependence on Office that has left me feeling very dependent on the whims of Microsoft, escpecially in a predominatly non Windows environment.

Linux and Perl on the other hand makes me feel much more in control of things and better able to "get work done" (as does Frontier on the Mac side).

We still have one NT server at work that does database analysis. One of the analyists was looking into the notification capabilities of SQL 7.0 (which we recently installed) and told me that in order to receive e-mail notifications, SQL server needed to talk to an Exchange server to send messages. "Can't it just use a SMTP mail server?" He didn't think so. It made me feel backed into a corner again with no way out but the Microsoft way.

Guess he won't be getting that e-mail notification.