Re> Netscape's legal agreement

Author:Dave Aiello
Posted:3/15/1999; 6:19:32 PM
Topic:Re> Netscape's legal agreement

Regarding Netscape's "My Netscape Network Terms of Use", Dave Winer said:

You're giving Netscape's attorneys a lot of power over what you say on your website.

Among other things, the "My Netscape Network Terms of Use" says:

You may not use your Channel to:

Display material containing nudity or pornographic material of any kind Display material that exploits children under 18 years of age

Post or disclose any personally identifiable information belonging to children

Provide material that is grossly offensive, including but not limited to blatant expressions of bigotry, prejudice, racism, hatred, or profanity, or information that condones or encourages physical harm toward any particular individual or group of individuals

Infringe intellectual property, including patents, copyrights, trademarks, and trade secrets

Promote or solicit for participation in multilevel marketing or pyramid schemes

Conduct raffles or contests that require any type of entry fee

Some of this stuff is vague, but what part of this is infringing on any Webmaster's ability to create content that is appropriate for syndication?

Wouldn't Netscape's recourse, if they felt you violated the agreement, be to deny you syndication to their site? Isn't that their right as owner of My Netscape anyway?

If you're were offering a service of this nature, wouldn't you also want some control over what the channel said? I mean, if you didn't assert some of these rights, what recourse would you have to shut a channel down if you believed that the source site had been hacked?

I think that there are a lot of issues that will need to be discussed among Webmasters before everyone in the industry is comfortable with all aspects of this sort of syndication.

Dave, please clue me in if I'm missing your point.

Dave Aiello