Re: Question from an ex-NeXT user

Author:Jonathan Hendry
Posted:3/16/1999; 5:33:14 PM
Topic:Mac OS X Server Press Conference

I've never seen this problem with printing/faxing. I've seen plenty of NeXT print servers that are rarely -if ever- rebooted.

Which isn't to say it never happened. Significantly complex Postscript or lots of big bitmaps might well do it.

The only time this was a problem for me was when looking at lots of big images or webpages in certain applications.

Avie Tevanian posted to usenet to explain the whole issue a few years ago. Check altavista or dejanews. The system *will* reclaim swap. It will shrink the swapfile when it can, but if it cannot, it still reclaims the space - the swapfile is large but mostly 'empty'. The 'empty' space within it will be reused before the swapfile is enlarged again.

Logging out and restarting the Display Postscript WindowServer (by logging in as 'exit') will often allow the vm system to reclaim any clogged VM and shrink the swapfile.

Combined with the typical RAM & disks on machines today, I doubt this will be a problem. If it is, add a disk for VM spillover.

- Jon