Re: domains vs doctree in mainresponder

Author:Clay Hughes
Posted:3/17/1999; 5:39:51 PM
Topic:domains vs doctree in mainresponder

Right now I have my config.mainresponder.domains.default pointing to the WWW folder inside the Nirvana Server folder, and the WWW folder contains both static html files and dynamic stuff coming out of several guest databases. Everything works fine. However, if I want to keep the exact same website structure, how can I point to static html files at the topmost level of the website if I set up some type of control structure--a table? For example, config.mainresponder.domains.default points to a table at workspace.mywebsite. In this table I can have an address object named DISCUSS pointing to the discussion group. That works. But if I have a fileSpec object named DEFAULT pointing to the folder containing static html files, those files aren't served. Instead, I just get the value of the fileSpec in the browser window. I could make a fileSpec named STATIC, but then my site structure is changed and I am forced to have a URL that looks like http://www.mysite.edu/static/home.htm instead of http://www.mysite.edu/home.htm.

Any suggestions?

I do think that a control structure--a table resembling a docTree is the way to go. There is more power, better control and probably better security.

Clay Hughes

P.S. An older thread, but it takes some of us a while to catch on.